Collecting traffic data is a critical piece of advancing transportation projects. Intersect, VHB’s latest technology-driven innovation, revolutionizes the way we account for traffic volumes at urban, suburban, or rural intersections during typical and atypical circumstances.
Intersect leverages big data and traffic analysis to keep critical projects moving forward. Intersect is a transportation planning tool that combines big data analytics and traditional traffic analysis to identify traffic data at intersections more efficiently than ever before, without the need for traditional manual or electronic counts.
Intersect begins with probe data from INRIX, VHB’s data provider, then follows an innovative four-step process to calculate intersection traffic volumes—a vital necessity for any transportation planning effort.
- Step 1: Leverage probe data in a Big Data environment
- Step 2: Identify control points
- Step 3: Apply a balanced flow approach
- Step 4: Validate the process/data
Intersect has and will continue to revolutionize the way we account for traffic volume at urban, suburban, or rural intersections, regardless of cars on the street. Intersect provides valuable benefits, including:
- 24/7 accessible data for any intersection
- Year-round availability for data collection—easy adjustments to account for holidays, summer months, etc.
- Fewer steps yield more efficiency and faster results—a cost and time savings
- A larger data set offers more reliability and accuracy
- Customizable output
- Virtual collection minimizes field work and enhances safety
- Viable tool during typical and atypical traffic conditions
Unprecedented disruptions, from global pandemics to extreme weather events, require flexible, adaptable, and proactive solutions. Intersect provides an innovative approach to collecting traffic volume data under typical or atypical circumstances and enables time-sensitive projects to progress. VHB is currently working in partnership with multiple departments of transportation to implement Intersect and leverage the efficiency and accuracy of collecting traffic counts using probe data.
To learn more about Intersect and how VHB can help keep your critical transportation projects moving, please contact Amir Rizavi, PE, ENV SP, Director of Transportation Systems and read our full white paper to dive deeper into the technical specifications and calculations of Intersect.